Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Drawing a blank

Seems when you have a good title you must blog. I was out of town this past weekend. It was supposed to be for an exorcism. Yes, you know, to raise the demons, to allow them to float out of the afflicted like a shoulder spasm might happen to a person of considerable age.

Yes, I know this is my professional writing/illustrator blog and I should be serious and only show the side of me which proves I am competent to work in this field, accurately and prolifically. Who says publishing houses aren't regularly doing exorcisms? I think we all might be better served if we knew what happened behind closed doors in publishing.

Well, see my demon is ever present. It wants to be seen and run the show. It wants to control my career. However, if you can't calm the demon, you will get demon work. This might not be so bad. I might be cast for the roll of drawing the evil twin or the nemesis in the story. Is it more fun to draw from the mind of the bad-guy? Someone once told me, "Maybe making art and being who you truly are artistically scares you." Maybe I am beginning to think they are on to something.

Thanks for reading......

2 comments:

Nina Crittenden said...

Putting yourself out there for criticism and potential rejection is both scary and discouraging. You are very talented, Amy. Don't let these feelings stop you from doing what you love to do.

ChloMichi said...

Well, I say, go to a different exorcist. Try the Catholics. They're supposedly good at it. LOL.

Accept the shadow, my dear. Work with it. What is the shadow here? There is gold inside it.

I think.

Who am I kidding? I'm tired of thinking.

Singing: "This little light of mine. I'm a gonna let it shine . . . This little light of mine. I'm a gonna let it shine."